By Cathy Eck
True Self Please Stand Up
In order to get free and enjoy life on earth, we must know a True Self from a false self. It’s hard because there are many damn good clones out there. You can take drugs, have an insight during visualization, or go through a near death experience and gain a glimpse of the truth. Such experiences shut down our intellect. We go beyond the construct of space and time.
But space and time aren’t the problem. When the intellect is used correctly by the True Self; it becomes the perfect masculine — the ultimate leader and visionary. When the false self uses the intellect, it stuffs it with knowledge, beliefs, and rules. Then we can’t access our truth because our mental computer is a cluttered mess with badly labeled files and lots of viruses.
The real point of everything I share is to master our own mind so that we’re always discriminating. In this way, we don’t take in files that are infected with viruses. Our mind contains the perfect virus protection software, which keeps us living our OWN life within an imperfect world that values knowledge over wisdom. That’s freedom.
Everyone is trying to get our support for their illusory world. Our job is to not accept the role they want to cast us in.
Experts and authorities thought they were giving us the truth, and we believed them. So how do we know who to believe? How do we know what to let go?
The answer is right within the word believe! Permanent lies that kind of explain things that we don’t understand aren’t necessary. As we let go, we come to understand everything. Until you get there, here are a few reminders!
1) You can’t let go of the truth. If you let go of everything that everyone ever said to you, you couldn’t go wrong. You won’t go back to being a helpless baby. That was a condition of size, not wisdom. Babies are very wise. They get stupider as they grow up.
2) Is the teacher/authority asking you to accept beliefs to fit into their world view? There are many teachers who say, “I need you to wipe your slate clean,” but then they write all over it with their beliefs. In this work, we wipe our slates clean and never allow another to write on it again without our conscious permission. I never want you to believe something I say either, other than “You can let go.” I explain the way the illusion is constructed only so that you might be more savvy about discriminating and not just believe everything you hear. Eventually, when your discrimination is working again, you can let go of the knowledge I provided about the illusion. You won’t need it anymore. It will be the last file you delete.
3) Do they think they have the truth and no one else does? Everyone has the truth inside of them. Most of us have forgotten that. Experts think they have the truth when they have knowledge or beliefs. They think they have something that no one else knows; they believe that makes them special. Special and false are the same. Knowledge and beliefs always have limits. Just take them to the extreme to find them. You can find the answer to anything on your own.
4) Can they laugh at their beliefs or traditions? If we can’t laugh at the things our false self says; it’s because we believe them.
5) Do they want support, submission, or commitment? You don’t have to shrink to fit into a True Self’s world. The True Self doesn’t need to create a secure future with you. False selves fear the future, and they want long-term commitments and certainty. They want you to sign on the dotted line that you will never, ever change your mind and let them go.
6) Are they trying to fix or change the illusion or float above it? Most people in the west want to change the illusion to suit their personal tastes. In the east, they leave it there but float above it in denial. Neither eliminates the illusion, which is the only way to have real freedom. Our false self can separate us from things we don’t like mentally. But freedom only comes when we recognize that the things we don’t like are false. They only affect our body and life if we believe them.
7) Are they teaching you a quality that you already possess (but forgot)? If they’re teaching you to be good, spiritual, peaceful, non-judgmental, loving, positive, or to know the truth, then you don’t need them. They need to fix themselves. People in the illusion all fix themselves by fixing others — nothing changes. If we think we’ve lost our spirit, we’ll go hunting for it. But we won’t find it. We’ll take part of our false self and teach it to be spiritual. We’ll create a better mask — a clone self. When we let go, we remember that we’re all the things that religious and spiritual teachers are training our false self to be.
8) The false self fixes one thing at the expense of another. A person goes to a doctor or healer and gets a drug or treatment that fixes one thing but now gives them a different problem. My son’s friend used to joke about Feng Shui. He called it the “art of moving shit around.” Everyone in the illusion is a Feng Shui practitioner. They don’t fix shit, they move it around. Old problems transform into new problems because no one ever removes the cause. They’re just fixing effects.
That’s a start. Everything in the illusion is backwards from the truth; but the illusion is not the opposite of Truth. Chew on that one for a while. The illusion is only a man-made invention; it’s completely false and has no power of its own. It’s destructible. When we let it go, the truth is what remains.